Saturday, June 29, 2013

Don't Eat the Chocolate? (or, How to Settle in Slowly)

So, I spoke too soon. My body isn't agreeing with all the food, not quite. Somehow, out of everything we've had so far, it was the chocolate pastry that got me. All is well now, but I had to laugh. (And, it was still delicious.)

I can finally say that I know my way to the humanities department that hosts our classes. The dead millipede in the title of my last post wasn't there yesterday morning, but the scary bridge was. So were the overfull trash can and the massive field of scooters. Why I can't use the actual buildings as landmarks like a normal person, I don't know - I fixate on details. Fortunately, there are plenty of interesting ones. As I have to focus less on finding my way, I'm noticing more.

There was a group trip this morning to visit a museum and a temple in the old city section of Chiang Mai. Some of the history we've started learning in our Thai Civilization class was touched on in the museum tour, so that was interesting. I'm excited to learn it in more depth. The temple was beautiful - gold statues, tall columns, intricate patterns everywhere... I couldn't help but feel awkward, though, hoping that I was conducting myself properly.

Finally, can I just say how thankful I am that numbers are the same? I may not be able to read anything whatsoever, but at least I know how much I owe for lunch. That's been getting me surprisingly far.

Up past her bedtime,
Carrie, Writer in Training


- Summary, Days 5-6 -
Discovered Bakery
Items obtained
- Pale Purple Pen
- Interestingly Flavored Junk Food
Pale Purple Pen equipped

No comments:

Post a Comment