Friday, June 21, 2013

In Praise of the Gandalf to my Bilbo (or, Carrie Goes to Thailand)

Hello, all, and welcome. My name is Carrie, and I am studying abroad because I am not an adventurer.

Let me begin by admitting that I did not start this, and I would not be doing this if not for the influence of my dear and wonderful Roommate, Gabe. She wanted very badly to go somewhere this summer, and the more I thought about it, the more I agreed that she - that we - should. There are a thousand reasons to do this. I'm painfully aware of my own lack of knowledge, my aunt and uncle live in Thailand, Gabe's presence assures me I won't be alone, and an opportunity like this isn't often presented. Essentially, I am going to Thailand because I think Gabe is right. I think it's a good thing to do. Along the way, I'll be recording the experience here, and answering whatever questions the university's study abroad office has for me. My apologies in advance for the silliness that's bound to seep through.

I expect - in fact, I hope - to be forced into a big change. By saying that I am not an adventurer, I mean that I am fairly sheltered, somewhat skittish, and not at all well-traveled. I do not go places and I do not start things, because it seems safer that way. There are less risks, and I always feel like I know what I'm doing. Still,  it's all wrong. Living that way, far too much goes unseen, undone, unknown. If I have the opportunity to experience something grand, I should take it. I hope to learn to stand up against the part of me that says otherwise.

Personal development aside, this is a quest for understanding. I'm going to a place I don't know much about, hoping to learn as much as possible. It's that simple. Taking classes, going places, meeting people - all of it will be full of new things to learn, and new ways to think on what I already know. The learning itself is what's important to me, and learning is certain when I'm going so far from the things that I'm accustomed to.

Am I scared? Yes. Adventures are scary enough, and I'm not even an adventurer. I'm a writer. I rely on my words, and here I am, heading for a country where the letters aren't even the same. I'll be surrounded by strangers, cut off from a lot of what's familiar to me, and utterly deprived of my one greatest strength. This is folly. Reckless. Terrifying. Still, it's worth doing.

Gabe and I can bumble forth together, and really, I look forward most to just being there. I get to embrace the unknown wholeheartedly, with both arms. I get to stretch for the limits of my understanding. I get to shatter all my habits at once and see the opportunities behind them. That's scary, and that's awesome. If I feel like I'm getting mixed up, all the better. I mean to do the things that scare me - to look into the unknown, to try my best, to endure my embarrassments and come back better for it all -

Because, you know, isn't that what adventures are for?

With hope and high folly,
Carrie, Writer in Training


- Summary, Day 0 -
Suitcase equipped
Departing Pennsylvania
Gabe joined the party!

3 comments:

  1. Awaiting more updates, visiting Chiang Mai vicariously through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, so happy that you and Gabe made the decision to go. If you can relax, I'm sure it will be a wonderful time. See you in the fall! Sue

    ReplyDelete