Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Minor Obstacles Come First (or, How Do I Do Time Zones?)

There are things you don't even realize you can be that bad at - eating, for example. And shopping. And showers. And yes, I am rather bad at all of these things. Thank goodness for Gabe, and thank goodness that I'm learning to laugh honestly at myself.

We got in very late, after a long, long set of flights, and were whisked away to the hostel for some sleep. Then, yesterday was orientation and a group shopping trip. I've got my schedule, my uniform, and enough baht to live on for a good while. We even managed to figure out the air conditioner.

Priority one is learning enough Thai to function. My inability to get out please and thank you - and apologize for my own ineptitude - is killing me. Other than that, I'm holding together great. The food and water have both agreed with me just fine, and the heat hasn't been as bad as I was expecting. I thought I would be more frightened than I am, too. This is going surprisingly well.

Granted, this is just the beginning. We have our first class tomorrow.

Inserting ominous background music here,
Carrie, Writer in Training


- Summary, Days 1-2 -
Discovered Chiang Mai
Currency exchanged
Items obtained
- Room Key
- Internet Pass
- Language Book
- City Map
- Campus Map
- Uniform

No comments:

Post a Comment